eyes and lips doodles
someone asked me to do a hair and face tutorial, but i’m not so good with faces so i only drew the hair one uvu
@zurgetron answered: Your art always has such beautiful colours. Any advice on picking colour palettes?
since my colors are commented on alot or asked about- i thought i should make this it’s separate post- i generally like to pick a single base color and build a saturated color scheme around that.
but here are a couple other things and quirks i keep in mind. these were my own personal take-aways i carried over from school and work.
1. if you have your values and temperatures right- the colors you choose doesn’t matter! this is true of rendering- but also of design! (composition and characters) if you can pinpoint your focus via value and temperature- the rest is icing on the cake. if you take a look in my pastel boxes you can see this kind of arrangement:
2. warm light = cool shadows. cool light = warm shadows.
3.(this might not make sense now- but hold on) every color, despite it’s original temperature, has a cooler and warmer alternate version of itself.
4.although white and black are very useful and provide a really strong statement- don’t rely on them as a crutch when mixing colors- alternatively use saturated colored alternatives.
5. and here’s the kicker… if “realism” isn’t your goal… break whatever rules you need to to make it a more appealing piece! (ah, now here’s where 3 &4 make sense!) if you know HOW to break the rules via color- you manage to make colors work for you, not work for your colors. one instance i use this alot in is yellows- yellows can go really bad really fast when you try to mix cool or darker colors in- instead- i use oranges to go darker to make it feel more golden. it’s not accurate- but i love the vibrant alternative. this is also something i picked up at work- because of color compression- sometimes things just didn’t look nice or right- and i had to pick darker analogous colors to make assets work.
6. finally, like i said earlier, if you can, pick 1 main base color and build a scheme around it- not trying to make a scheme off alot of colors. if you look at some of my more successful pieces you can say “the main color of that is…” (purple, blue, cyan, orange, reddish-brown)
so.. knowing all these things.. this is what my color picker choices look like in photoshop:
i tend to stay in the saturated zone but use all the values and then i slide the hue selector up and down for temperatures.
hope this explains enough of what i do- it’s not necessarily a tutorial or anything- it’s just some things i personally keep in mind.
for anyone who wants to learn how to draw shoujo eyes…(anime)
Here’s some tips, of course nothing professional, but things I’ve learned myself.
Hope it helps some of you guys. ovo
I got a bunch of asks about the 3D effect and texture! Im really bad at tutorials and I know there are alot of 3D effect tutorials out there but I will try my hardiest please forgive me if this is really bad haaaaaa
+ in photoshop open your image
+ duplicate the layer! dubble click on the new layer to get this box to show up
+ on blending options click “blend interior effects as group” and then unclick B and G to get a pretty blue color shown in the box on the side [you can click and unclick R G and B to make different colors but I like the blue color~]
+ then edit -> free transform! and move it a bit to the right [or left or up or down ]
you get a cool 3D effect!
+ then go back to the first original layer and duplicate it again!
+Filter -> Pixelate-> color halftone!
+ for Max. radius I usually just put in a number from 4-10! play around with it until you get a dot size you like!
+ put the layer on multiply
+ Bring down the opacity
I erase the dots around the skin so only the shadowed areas will have dots on it!
+ then I sharpen the image Filter -> sharpen -> unsharp mask
+ then your donee! you can edit it with like filters and stuff after but this effect is over yea!!
- jfashion magazines!!! (helps out with outfits/people)
- paint online!!
- some paint tool sai brushes!!
- mypaint (its free and its kinda like photoshop its really cool!)
- firealpca (its free and its pretty much a mix between sai and photoshop!!)
- photoshop (for free! and other stuff)
- more textures
- more brushes
- bonus: a kawaii photo editor
FUCK THIS I SPERFECT, IT SHOWS THE ARM PRONATING AND ALL THE MUSCLES SHIFTING ALONG WITH THE WRIST
IT EVEN HIGHLIGHTS THE ULNA BONE
HEY THIS IS THE ULTIMATE ANATOMY REF, FUCK THOSE MISLEADING TERRIBLE FUCKING “ANATOMY” TUTORIALS THAT GOEAS AROUND TUMBLR, THIS IS ALL OYU NEED, LOOK AT THE LATISIMUS STRETCHING OVER THE SERRATUS, THE PECTORAL MUSCLE MOVESUPWARDS AND OVER THE BICEP AND EXTENDS ALONG WITH THE ARM THERES EVEN THE CORACOBRACHIALIS;. AAAA OMFG I’M SO HAPPYYYYYY
Some hand references.
Redid a post by fucktonofanatomyreferencesreborn with sources because they never source anything and I don’t want to reblog that post because I don’t want to support blogs who don’t give credit to people
(No, stating that the art is ~not yours~ and ~came from elsewhere~ IS NOT PROPER CREDIT. Many of these have usernames and such on them but not every single one and you still ought to link back to the specific piece)
I couldn’t source the last one so I didn’t include it.